Toyota, Honda Suspend Production After Japan Quake Disrupts Supply Chains



Author
Reported By NTT Desk
Published On Jul 29, 2026
5 Min Read
The Gist
Japan's leading automakers, Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co., have suspended production at several manufacturing facilities following the 7.1-magnitude earthquake that struck Kumamoto Prefecture...

Japan's leading automakers, Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co., have suspended production at several manufacturing facilities following the 7.1-magnitude earthquake that struck Kumamoto Prefecture, as companies assess damage to infrastructure, suppliers and logistics networks.

Toyota announced on Wednesday that it would halt operations at three plants in southern Japan through Friday, only hours after briefly resuming production that had been suspended following Tuesday's earthquake.


The automaker said the decision was taken amid continuing uncertainty caused by aftershocks and ongoing recovery efforts."The situation, including aftershocks and recovery efforts, is changing daily. We will continue to prioritize safety above all else," Toyota said in a statement.


The temporary shutdown affects the company's Miyata, Kanda and Kokura plants, with production expected to remain suspended until July 31.

Toyota's Miyata facility manufactures several Lexus luxury models and has an annual production capacity of approximately 430,000 vehicles, while the Kanda and Kokura plants produce hybrid vehicle components and engines.

The earthquake, which struck Kumamoto on Tuesday, damaged roads and transport infrastructure while cutting electricity to thousands of households, raising fresh concerns over supply chain disruptions across Japan's manufacturing sector.


Honda also announced that it would extend the shutdown of its Kumamoto motorcycle plant through Friday to allow repairs to sections of the factory damaged by the earthquake. The disruption has spread beyond the automotive industry.


Semiconductor manufacturer Renesas Electronics said it had suspended operations at two facilities in Kumamoto while engineers assessed potential damage to production equipment.

Meanwhile, Nissan Motor Co. said it currently has no plans to suspend production at its Fukuoka plant, where it manufactures the Rogue SUV (X-Trail in Japan). However, the company said it was closely monitoring developments affecting suppliers and logistics.


The production suspensions come as Japan continues to deal with the aftermath of one of its strongest earthquakes in recent years. The disaster has left at least 13 people dead, damaged critical infrastructure and prompted large-scale rescue and recovery operations across Kyushu.


With aftershocks continuing and transport networks yet to return to normal, manufacturers are expected to closely monitor the situation before deciding when full-scale production can safely resume.

UP NEXT
Up Next