Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari Promises Strict Action Against Those Who Attacked Journalists During NEET Protest

Author
Reported By NTT Desk
Published On Jul 25, 2026
5 Min Read
The Gist
West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Saturday condemned the attacks on journalists during a protest march over the alleged NEET paper leak and said the "strictest action" would be taken agai...

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Saturday condemned the attacks on journalists during a protest march over the alleged NEET paper leak and said the "strictest action" would be taken against those responsible under the recently enacted West Bengal Public Safety and Control of Anti-social Activities Act, 2026, commonly known as the Goonda Act.

Addressing the West Bengal Assembly, Adhikari said authorities had identified around 70 individuals who were present during Friday's protest in Kolkata but, according to the government, had no connection with the demonstration.

The rally, organised by Left-wing student organisations, was held to demand the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over the alleged NEET paper leak.

Speaking in the Assembly, the Chief Minister alleged that violence erupted after some miscreants began throwing shoes and water bottles before turning their attention towards journalists. He claimed the incidents occurred after police declined repeated attempts to provoke a confrontation. 

"The strictest action will be taken against all those involved under the Goonda Act," Adhikari said.
Referring to the protest, Adhikari said it was conducted under the banner of the "United Cockroach March", announced by a self-declared member of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), with participation from Left and ultra-Left organisations.
"In a democratic country, anyone can exercise their democratic rights by abiding by the law and protesting peacefully," the Chief Minister said, while reiterating that violence would not be tolerated.

Adhikari said Kolkata Police had been instructed not to intervene unless the situation went out of control. He praised the force for showing restraint despite what he described as repeated attempts by protesters to provoke a baton charge and the use of tear gas. 

According to the Chief Minister, six journalists who sustained serious injuries were treated at government hospitals, while several others suffered minor injuries during the clashes.
He informed the Assembly that six FIRs had been registered in connection with the violence and that provisions of the Goonda Act had been invoked in the cases.
The Chief Minister further alleged that the 70 identified individuals were neither students nor members of the Cockroach Janta Party and had no connection with the NEET-related agitation.
Adhikari also named five individuals—Afroz of Rajabagan, Naheed of Kidderpore, Tanveer and Nizam of Ekbalpore, and Rahul Jamal of Watgunge—alleging that they were involved in the violence that broke out during Friday's protest at Esplanade. Police investigations into the incidents are underway. 

UP NEXT
Up Next