Devendra Nath Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike after Jharkhand Govt. scraps JSSC-CGL exam

Author
Reported By NTT Desk
Published On Aug 18, 2026
5 Min Read
The Gist
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike late on Monday after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and other recruitment tests condu...

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike late on Monday after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and other recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TDPL, calling the decision a “huge victory for Jharkhand”.

Mahto broke his fast around midnight after Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision following a special Cabinet meeting. State ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari later reached the protest site and offered juice to the fasting students.

“Today marks the 16th day of the hunger strike; this struggle began on July 2nd,” Mahto said. “I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision, canceling an exam was a massive challenge.” He described the cancellation as a “bold step” but said the movement for reforms in the recruitment system would continue.

“If this requires the Legislative Assembly to enact new laws or necessitates a constitutional amendment, then so be it,” Mahto said. “Every examination must be monitored, every examination must be audited, and there must be a clear certificate for every examination and at every stage; we will continue to struggle for this," he added. 

Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mahto over a video call, describing the government’s decision as a “victory for everyone”.

Student leaders Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti also ended their hunger strike alongside Mahto. Irfan Ansari said the three had voluntarily decided to end their fast following the government’s intervention.

“Just now, Devendra Mahato, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti voluntarily took the initiative to end their hunger strike,” Irfan Ansari said. “All three are healthy; there are no issues—their blood pressure and blood sugar levels are normal.”

Devendra Mahto thanked Hemant Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, state ministers and others who had supported the students’ agitation.

However, the broader protest over alleged irregularities in Jharkhand’s recruitment examinations may continue, with the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch insisting that its demand for a CBI investigation has not been accepted.

Ravindra Paswan, who leads the Reform Manch, said the protesters would assess the government’s written assurances before deciding whether to withdraw the wider agitation. “Ministers Dipika Pandey and Irfan Ansari visited us and appealed to us to call off the agitation. However, the government has not yet agreed to our demand for a CBI inquiry,” Ravindra Paswan said.

“We will study the assurances given by the Chief Minister—specifically, the official notification and press release that are expected—and then, tomorrow, we will certainly inform you about the strategy for our movement. Our demand is that a CBI inquiry must be held,” he added.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren convened a special Cabinet meeting on Monday to formally approve the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by TDPL, including those for which results had already been published. “Today, we held a special Cabinet meeting to bring this matter to a conclusion. After considering all aspects and finding solutions to the issues, we have decided to cancel all examinations conducted by TDPL,” Hemant Soren said.

The Chief Minister said the protesting students should not be viewed as separate groups, but as young people concerned about their future. “I do not consider these young people to be different groups. They are all concerned about their future. The government will move ahead with complete transparency on reforms,” he said.

Deepika Pandey Singh also announced the cancellation of the 14th JPSC examination and pending backlog assessments.

The state government will write to the Enforcement Directorate to investigate suspected financial misappropriation, while a separate probe by the Jharkhand CID will be conducted under judicial monitoring.

Jharkhand CID officials also searched the JSSC office in Ranchi to collect evidence related to the allegations. CID ADG Manoj Kaushik confirmed that the searches were part of the investigation.

Twenty people have been arrested so far in connection with the wider examination irregularity probe, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte.

Hemant Soren said the alleged irregularities pointed to failures in following established examination procedures. “There is already an SOP for conducting examinations, and if it had been followed, these irregularities would not have occurred,” he said.

While Devendra Mahto and the other hunger strikers have ended their fast, Umme Habiba presented additional demands to the administration, including the withdrawal of FIRs and other legal action against protesters. She also sought the reinstatement of suspended civic official Santosh Mastana and the formal closure of CID Case No. 025. “Any legal action, whether an FIR or any proposed measure registered against the students should be withdrawn, and the right to peaceful, democratic protest must be respected,” Umme Habiba said. “I am struggling for the rights of Jharkhand's candidates, a fair recruitment system, and the security of their future,” she added.

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had written to Hemant Soren on August 14, backing the students’ demands and describing their agitation as peaceful and legitimate. Jharkhand Congress in-charge K Raju had also urged the Chief Minister to find a swift resolution.

The protests intensified earlier in August when thousands of job aspirants marched towards the Jharkhand Assembly. Police used lathis, tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters after they breached barricades.

Alongside the cancellation of the examinations, the Jharkhand government announced several measures aimed at tightening the recruitment process.

These include a time-bound annual examination calendar, technology-secured testing systems, timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets, multi-level accountability in the recruitment process and a dedicated portal where students, teachers, educationists and parents can submit suggestions.

The protesters are expected to decide on Tuesday whether to call off the wider agitation, with the CBI probe remaining a key unresolved demand.

UP NEXT
Up Next